Remember your first bike? The only thing better than that is kid who EARNED their own bike and learned how to ride it safely and responsibly. This is Earn-a-Bike!
For the past three years, QC Bike has provided 130-150 bike packages to Earn-a-Bike programs at Beech Street and Gossler Park Elementary Schools as part of the Manchester Community Schools Project. The bike package includes a fully refurbished bike, new helmet, lock and lights and it is earned through leadership programming at school. The bikes are distributed to the successful students at their big Block Party in May and it is really fun. A huge amount of work goes into making this project a success.
- Student Leadership Projects at school; including academics and community service
- Bike safety education assembly for students at school
- Over 200-250 bikes collected to create 130-150, safe, clean bikes. Each one takes hours!
- Fitting every kid for their bike and helmet and setting their custom lock combinations
- Every bike is registered with the Manchester Police Department before it goes home
The Manchester Health Department, which facilitates the Earn-A-Bike Program, assists us in securing funds for the basic project, including the Granite United Way that contributed funds to support its inception, and we recently received a check from Speedway Children’s Charities that will help. But, to make these bikes a true reward for the students, we need your help. The bikes come in from local landfills and backyards. The seats, grips, tubes and tires usually need to be replaced. The cost of these parts is about $25/bike. Please go to How You Can Help and scroll to “DONATE FUNDS” or contact me directly to make your gift to QC Bike Collective. We will use it well.
Sharing your enthusiasm for QC Bike Collective with others is one more way you can help us. Please invite friends and colleagues to join this collective, community effort.